Big Monitoring Fabric™ (Big Mon) is the next-generation network packet broker, delivering pervasive visibility and DMZ security at scale. Network operators can now see fast and act fast to defend the network and ensure high-performance delivery of services and applications.
Big Monitoring Fabric Inline
Today’s data center is rapidly evolving to enable business innovation and competitiveness:
- Cloud-native applications (virtual machines and containers) are growing east-west traffic in the data center.
- Businesses are demanding higher performance and availability of applications and services.
- The volume, velocity, and sophistication of cyber attacks are dramatically increasing.
Big Monitoring Fabric explained
Meanwhile, budgets have stagnated, requiring network owners to optimize capital expenditure and operational resources.
Data centers demand monitoring and security architectures that provide complete visibility, are more flexible, and can be operated faster and more efficiently in order to quickly respond to new business demands and cyber attacks.
Traditional network packet brokers (NPBs), which operate box-by-box, are not able to address the monitoring and security needs of the modern data center. They introduce visibility silos, where each NPB provides access to a narrow selection of network links. These visibility silos prevent network owners from gaining a pervasive view of the network, where any tool can receive any flow from anywhere in the data center. Traditional (box-by-box) NPBs are also complex and time consuming to manage and scale.
Big Mon is the next-generation NPB built for today’s data center. It operates in real time, optimizing and delivering network traffic for each security and monitoring tool, which enables tools to scale and perform more efficiently.
Big Mon delivers intelligent, agile, and highly flexible monitoring and security architectures that centralize the provisioning of network traffic from across the data center, including virtual workloads. Big Mon’s resilience, scale out design, and ease of management are unparalleled compared to traditional NPBs, while providing up to 50% cost saving.
The Next-Generation Network Packet Broker
Big Mon combines the functions of traditional NPBs with the intelligence, agility and flexibility of a true SDN fabric. It delivers network packets to both passive and active performance and security tools, and allows network and security teams to define delivery policies for each tool.
Unlike traditional NPBs, which function box-by-box, Big Mon acts as a single logical NPB — built with open-hardware networking switches and x86-based DPDK Service Nodes, managed from a high-availability controller. This superior design allows the entire visibility and security architecture to be operated through a single pane of glass. Every tool has continuous or on demand visibility into all traffic, across every rack, every location, and every workload.
Because Big Mon’s logical NPB fabric is decoupled from the physical visibility nodes, network operators can deploy, operate, scale and innovate faster.
- Auto-discovery and configuration of Big Mon nodes
- Tools can receive traffic from anywhere in network, regardless of physical location
- Delivery policies are programmed from a single interface
- Operate faster
- Real time visibility and analytics for quick troubleshooting
REST APIs for tool and workflow integration and automation (event triggered monitoring, alerts, and tool
- Attack mitigation at terabit scale — automated or user-driven
- Scale and innovate faster
Zero-touch scale out
Changes to traffic delivery policies can be made without any physical reconfiguration of the visibility architecture
Add inline tools without impacting network operation
Reprogram policies in real time based on newly discovered threats
Big Monitoring Fabric components include:
- High-availability controllers with built-in analytics
- Switch Light™ SDN operating system
- High-performance Service Nodes (based on industry-standard x86 DPDK servers) for advanced packet
- handling and Netflow generation
- Open-hardware networking switches (deployed out-of-band or inline)
These components create next-generation solutions for pervasive network visibility & scale out DMZ security:
- Pervasive visibility and security with Big Mon Out-of-Band
- Scale out DMZ Security with Big Mon Inline
With both out-of-band and inline deployment options, Big Monitoring Fabric provides a complete monitoring and security delivery solution for today’s data center — while optimizing cost by up to 50%.