INFRASTRUCTURE: DO MORE WITH LESS
In a difficult economic context, the organizations interviewed in our survey consider their IT department as a support function for their core business. For half of them, infrastructure projects find their motivation in improving the user productivity and reducing costs.
We notice that:
- 57% of the organizations have requested to their IT team to provide more services with less resources
- 39% have experienced a IT budget decrease in 2010
- 32% have experienced headcount cuts (at the company level)
- 67% had spent their entire IT budget for the year 2010 before October.
The main mission of the network & infrastructure teams is to provide all users with a high quality of service in terms of access to the applications and network availability. To achieve this, much work has already been engaged such as:
- VOIP has been deployed in 57% of the organizations interviewed
- Virtualization has been adopted by a vast majority of them (72%)
- Visio conference is used by 28% of them.
Despite an unfavorable economic context, IT managers have to conduct improvement & optimization projects to reduce operating costs (e.g. implementation of visioconference to reduce travel expenses).